Distance in Marriage

“Missing someone can hurt. But when you know they are yours forever, negativity it helps avert.” ― Trishna Damodar

Looking back, I can't say that I was like most young girls who dreamt of a white fairytale wedding; who saw themselves in a wedding gown and envisioned every detail down to the style of shoe and beadings on their veil. Me, I was dreaming of how to be a pirate (yes, you read that right) after hours playing in my grandfather's yard, atop lumber and sitting on the highest limb of the mango tree that took root in the centre of the pile, with my feet dangling below as my eyeball pierced through my make-shift telescope, I wanted to be a pirate like all the one's I learnt of during my Social Studies lessons.

I dreamt of many things. Becoming an author, a veterinarian, a world-renowned chef who served the meanest burger with a scarlet/hog-plum glaze that was to die for. So imagine how I must have felt after not having some dream to draw inspiration from after my engagement last year. I was ECSTATIC! to say the least; I got to dream of how I wanted my wedding to be and to share in the planning experience with the love of my life. The process was fun, challenging and amazing and the day was nothing short of a fairytale.

Now that we've been married for a month, we have been dealing with our first challenge. Just like everything else in my life-far from traditional-I find myself writing this tearful because I'm missing my husband. The week before our wedding, Abaco and Grand Bahama experienced the monster storm Dorian. That was the first challenge. Talk about a faith builder. I'll discuss more of this in a subsequent post. But it was truly a test that I believe prepared A and myself for what was to come next.

For most persons,  things appear to fall into place instantly post wedding day; you know, fly away to the lovely honeymoon, return to a cozy residence and commence life as newlyweds with all of the challenges that come with that. For me however, distance now stands between us, and our honeymoon has been delayed.  But we're delighted in the fact that God remained faithful through it all.

Distance isn't something that we're new to. Far from it, but this for some reason is now different. The longing to be together more than ever, to experience new eateries, sunsets, day trips and grocery shopping (yeah we're cheesy that way) are just more pressing. Maybe it's because I'm more aware of my age now or maybe because of hurricane Dorian and the fact that time is short and spending as much time with those we love while we can is vital.

 It's times when trials arise and we're apart facing the giants together through prayer, countless video and voice calls, texts and even emails that I'm reassured that things will work out how they're supposed to when they're supposed, and then it hits me; "Remember when you prayed for patience and lessons that will help with my transformation into a more patient, virtuous woman," hmmm...now, I'm learning to be sure to add a disclaimer with my prayers "whatever way you see fit to teach me this lesson, make me strong to endure the test."

Although, I'm tearful, I'm also comforted in knowing that I'm not alone during this time. My family has been so supportive. As curious and concerned as everyone is as to when we'll both be in once place comfortably, it's annoying and irritating because WE DON'T KNOW! and sometimes not knowing is okay. It strengthens our faith because now our next move is solely dependant upon God's guidance.

I would be lying if I were to say we're fine; because we're not. We're wanting to be together more than ever, but we're doing our best to make the most of our current situation because this IS NOT permanent. It's exciting to know that there are options however daunting they may be, but we must be patient. This is the lesson and we're learning to be just that.


Are you facing a challenge or difficulty as a newlywed? Have you experienced long-distance at any point in your marriage? How did you cope? I'd be glad to hear your story, if you're willing to share. 

There will be future posts related to my wedding and how we planned it during my internship years and all the do's and don'ts I picked up along the way. Be sure to sign up for email notifications if you haven't done so already.

No comments