Love in Medicine

“There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally, in a heartbeat, in a single flashing, throbbing moment.” ― Sarah DessenThe Truth About Forever


It was late August 2013 as I boarded my flight to St. Augustine Trinidad, mentally prepared for the inception of medical school, but emotionally destroyed.

The time came to cut ties with the one who I had known and loved dearly for roughly seven years. Heart-broken and confused, that four hour flight to Trinidad and Tobago was spent trying to erase every memory we created and stopping myself from replaying the conversations I had with him prior.

As the wheels met the tarmac at Piarco International Airport, I raised my sunglasses, wiped away the tears that I tried so hard to stop from flowing, repeated silently to myself "time to shine! no baggage! go and get it girl!"

For the first time in a long time, I was single and not interested in love or the semblance of it.

Naturally, without my searching or effort, I was met with my fair share of suitors. I found it interesting that the moment I wanted to be alone like cockroaches at the height of darkness, eligible bachelors were suddenly bold enough to voice their interest, but I digress.

My first semester in medical school came to completion and to my surprise it was my last semester that I was single as well. During the first few months of second semester, I gained a friend. As our friendship grew, so did my interest in him and little did I know that was mutual.

During my most difficult moment of medical school, he was at the centre encouraging and supporting me, reminding me that there is always hope as long as God loans us breath and although my health was being tested, it was not the end of my story or my journey.

From then to now, I've found that we've both strengthened one another and honestly that is vital in a growing relationship next to strong communication and commitment.

As a medical student, it is important to stay focused on achieving your goals, however, don't be a "Mr. Scrooge" and shun those who may be placed in your life for a lifetime. Love comes when we least expect it and God has perfect timing. What begins as friendship can evolve into a beautiful relationship.


__________________________________________________________________

"To have a good friend is one of the highest delights of life"- Author Unknown

__________________________________________________________________


I'll leave you with this story from a planner I received from my best friend Andrea last year. It was entitled "Friendship"; it reads:

  Alex and Judson were hiking through the Redwood Forest of Northern California. They marvelled at the extreme height of the trees, the massive trunks of some, and the overall density. Coming across a park ranger , Judson asked, "For trees this huge, how deep are their roots?"

   The park ranger explained that the redwoods actually have a shallow root system. Instead of growing deep, the roots spread out over great distances right under the surface of the ground, and intertwine with one another. Because the roots are wrapped together, the trees are able to grow taller and withstand storms. The great strength of the forest comes from the roots of all the trees helping to support each other.

  As they continued on their hike, Alex and Judson talked about how their lives were a lot like these trees. When they stood beside each other and helped each other, they always felt more strength and energy. They were glad they could count on one another for support.

In medical school as well as through life, 'in the same way as the roots of the trees, you need to know who you can count on as friends to be with you through the good and difficult times. This occurs when you demonstrate the same commitment to your friend' (however, it may not always be reciprocated). As it takes more than two trees to hold each other up, so it may be in your life, you may find yourself with a flock of friends or a select few of persons with whom you can depend on. 'It is important to let God intertwine your lives. his strength will sustain you through any of life's storms, and He will help your love life and friendship grow closer together.'


Dear friends let us love one another, because love comes from God- 1 John 4:7

No comments