Lessons from Esther

"And who knows but that you have come to your royal position for such a time as this?"- Esther 4:14


Have you ever pondered on the person Esther was before she was queen? Have you ever taken a step back and asked yourself "Is my response to hatred and prejudice in keeping with Christ's example? or am I allowing societal norms to direct and influence my actions?"

For the month of September, I took it upon myself to re-read the book of Esther, mainly during a period when several Adventist students were faced with religious prejudice and given an ultimatum to either sit their Senior Paediatrics end of rotation OSCE's on the Sabbath. During this period of I made note of five main lessons I learned during my reading which I have outlined below. 

It's interesting to see that, often when I ask others about their thoughts on the Bible, they agree that there are lessons within that can shape and direct our approach to life's trials, but there is just not enough hours in the day to spend a minute immersed in the Word. Funny isn't it that we find time for everything we consider a priority, besides God. I won't begin to pretend to be righteous and as if I have all aspects of my life planned and figured out; because I don't. But I do still find it interesting that often enough, we want answers but don't want to put in the necessary work to get those answers. It's just something we have to strive to change if we truly consider ourselves to be Christians. 

The Bible is our 'guidebook'. It outlines the objectives as well as the answers. To the only child reading this, you are no longer sibling less; you have a sister who became Queen and who stood firm in principle when persecution was at her front door. Her name you ask? It is Esther. To the young man seeking belonging and contemplating joining a gang-be friends with Joseph and Daniel-never would you lack adventure. 

You see our devotion to God must be more than mere words. It takes action. In 2017, the young are being called to serve. Will we answer? or will we conform? 




5 Lessons from the Book of Esther


1. Diversity.

Your diversity speaks volumes of your character. Do not feel the need to change who you are to follow the world. Esther 2: 7, 9

2. Lack of Experience? So what!

God uses those with the least amount of experience to achieve great things. To be called requires no experience, just an ounce of faithfulness to the calling. Esther 1: 1; 2:18

3. Humble thyself.

Humility is rare. Embrace it. Do not go out of your way to prove your worth; you'd be surprise those who've already taken notice. Realize your worth. Esther 2: 15, 17

4. Integrity and Dignity; Get some.

Your integrity and dignity may anger many. Serve God still! Esther 3: 2, 8

5. Faith-Mustard Seed Faith.

Be faithful in small responsibilities; God will reward your faithfulness far more than you can imagine. Esther 2:17; 3:2