Sweet Hour of Prayer




“Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one's weakness. It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart.” 
― Mahatma Gandhi





It is interesting to see  how my life can be off kilter when I stray from my routine, especially my planning for the week ahead. Sundays I tend to make an early morning trip to one of the countless local markets to stock up on produce and supplies for at least two weeks; once that's done I plan my meals, my study schedule and I have tried to take Samara's advice and plan my outfits for classes (which at times requires ironing), for the week. This believe it or not is done by noon which affords me the opportunity to spend at least six hours of my afternoon at the library.  

This past Sunday, however,  I just could not muster the energy to get up before dawn.  I spent Saturday night trying to catch up on on my Immunology that I neglected since the semester began and surprisingly, I somewhat enjoyed reading and learning  the various immunodeficiencies. I found that just a simple understanding of the basics made other areas of medicine so much easier to grasp. 

This morning I had a what's app conversation with my brother (I'm amazed at the advances of technology that allows for the connection despite the ridiculous distance between) which just gave me a whole lot of appreciation for life and for trials and for overcoming them. 

His reminder to daily recommit my life to God and to meditate on the text Philippians 4:6-7 gave me a sense of peace and hope for the week ahead and this is what I would like to share with you today.  

As I read the text, I found myself humming the hymn 'Sweet Hour of Prayer'. It's as if the text awoken something within and reignited my passion for life and drew me closer to understanding my purpose and calling-in this Ministry of Healing (a.k.a. Medicine). 

Yes, I may have sunken into a state of lethargy which resulted in the delaying of my plans; nonetheless each God given day is an opportunity and new beginning to accomplish more and to make adjustments as needed, because after all, life is never meant to go according to our plans and sometimes the smudge on the canvas is the masterpiece we were meant to create. 

Don't fret over not getting enough hours of studying in (if you have been keeping up with your workload throughout the semester) rather accept the delay, make the necessary adjustments and get back to work! 

May you have a great week and be comforted by the lyrics of the hymn below:




  1. Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
    That calls me from a world of care,
    And bids me at my Father’s throne
    Make all my wants and wishes known.
    In seasons of distress and grief,
    My soul has often found relief,
    And oft escaped the tempter’s snare,
    By thy return, sweet hour of prayer!
  2. Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
    The joys I feel, the bliss I share,
    Of those whose anxious spirits burn
    With strong desires for thy return!
    With such I hasten to the place
    Where God my Savior shows His face,
    And gladly take my station there,
    And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!
  3. Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
    Thy wings shall my petition bear
    To Him whose truth and faithfulness
    Engage the waiting soul to bless.
    And since He bids me seek His face,
    Believe His Word and trust His grace,
    I’ll cast on Him my every care,
    And wait for thee, sweet hour of prayer!
  4. Sweet hour of prayer! sweet hour of prayer!
    May I thy consolation share,
    Till, from Mount Pisgah’s lofty height,
    I view my home and take my flight.
    This robe of flesh I’ll drop, and rise
    To seize the everlasting prize,
    And shout, while passing through the air,
    “Farewell, farewell, sweet hour of prayer!”

No comments