Officially a Medical Student




It was 2 p.m. May 22nd 2012. My workday had just begun. I sat down to my assigned bench for the week and decided to check my email. 

As I sifted through the copious amounts of email from my favorite stores, I received a notification that a new email entered my inbox. A bit annoyed as I was trying to keep up with reading and responding to necessary emails and deleting all of the "junk"mail, with a flick of the roller on the mouse, the new email was now in sight. UWI_Offer was illuminated in the sender field with the subject area reading "Offer of entry to The University of The West Indies". My heart rate increased, I nervously and excitedly starting shaking my foot on the foot rest. Secretively, I looked around to see if the coast was clear before clicking on the email. 

It was as if time stood still as I read the email. It began: 


"Dear Miss Dorsett, Congratulations! We are pleased to offer you a place as a Full Time student to read for a Bachelor of Medicine, Surgery degree in the Faculty of Medical Sciences at The University of The West Indies, Mona Campus. The programme commences August 2012. "

Internally I was running in circles, with hands waving uncontrollably with sporadic periods of cartwheels. YES! My prayers were answered. My dream was about to become a reality. Forgetting my current work responsibilities, I excused myself and phoned my parents. I was beyond excited. My immediate reaction was "I might as well ditch work, and go and celebrate!" but that didn't happen that evening. 

I contained my excitement and went back to my bench and started the extraction process for the night's Vitamin D testing. Needless to say, the rest of my shift, I was floating on cloud 9.

After informing my close friends and family of my acceptance, it was now time to make a decision and start acting. What will be my next step? I didn't expect it to happen so quickly and before I knew it, May would be June, and in a blink of an eye it would be August. I decided to defer my acceptance, continue working to make a few more dollars, to sell my car and to mentally prepare for this life-changing event. 

I was accustomed to living on my own since my sophomore year of college and reverting to the dormitory life once again would take some getting use to. 

As of August 2013, I officially enrolled for classes at The University of The West Indies, St. Augustine Campus, Trinidad and Tobago (yes, I know I said Mona Campus, Jamaica-blog to follow with details later) and I recently completed my first semester of medical school December of 2013. 



The Night Owl Chronicles has been initiated to serve as a means of guidance for those interested in pursuing a Medical Degree specifically at a Caribbean Medical School and for those currently in medical school as a means of encouragement, resource pool, textbook review, and testimonials from upper years in the faculty of Medical, Dental and Veterinary Sciences.

So come on and live vicariously through me as my journey in medical school unfolds and the adventure begins!

No comments