Who Said Florals Aren't for Winter?



Just like that a New Year is upon us. For some, the chill of winter is still present and for others the cold fronts are making their way through and the weather is returning to what they know to be 'the norm'.

Having spent a few years in Minnesota and enjoying the white winters and bundling up in my warmest coloured peacoat, I often found myself sticking to the monotonous tones whenever I had to layer up.

The usual dark coloured sweaters and pants were definitely in abundance for me during the winter when one winter, I just got sick of looking like everyone else. That's when I decided that during the winter holiday I would choose a theme for decorating and would use that for my winter wardrobe as well-mainly whenever I hosted a dinner party or game night or ventured out for Karaoke or a Murder Mystery with friends.

Medical school has definitely taken precedence and due to my school obligations I'm rarely found anywhere else besides the library, my bedroom and on the wards at the hospital; nonetheless, I was able to take some time to reconnect with my girlfriends for our annual Christmas meet-up. This was the perfect (and possibly the only) opportunity for me to dress up a bit and enjoy some time with non-medical professionals.

Since I've broken the mould regarding winter fashion, sweater dresses in your basic beige, maroon or green was a definite NO for me when deciding on what to wear.

Originally I had planned on wearing a simple jersey dress with booties and a hat, but as the day approached and the temperature warmed up, I just couldn't ditch the itch to be colourful, bold and bright. I mean after all, it was three days after Christmas and there was still reason to be "merry and bright."



As the venue was bright airy and welcoming, my outfit of course had to be somewhat similar to the atmosphere. I decided to search deep in my closet and found my red-orange blazer. I knew I wanted to wear the floral top my aunt bought me when she recently went away which I paired with the high-waisted, three-buttoned champagne coloured skinny jeans that I got for Christmas from another relative.


The key when mixing colours is to be sure they compliment one another. The only rule I follow, is to choose one piece that would either stand out boldly on top or bottom but never both, just to maintain some level of balance and so that your assets are highlighted and not your flaws.

Since my blazer was bright and bold, I completed my look with nude, low-heeled pumps and kept my makeup very natural and clean and did something different with my hair; I tried the deconstructed milkmaid braid with loose curls and untamed fly-away pieces of hair with a faux braided tan headband for completion.



This look can definitely be worn in the spring or summer by simply trading the pumps for sandals or simple flats and ditching the blazer altogether.


Blazer (Forever 21-years old) similar | here | here | here |
Top (Ross) similar | here | here | here |
Pants (No Boundaries) similar | here | here | here |
Shoes (Target) similar | here | here | here |

As a student with no salary, dressing up doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg; it just requires a certain amount of creativity and maybe a small cashflow to take care of the necessities.

Welcome to the New Year! Let this year be the year you vow to wear more of the clothes you already own and redefine your style based on your personality.


Are you curious to know where I wore this outfit? There's a post coming soon that will spill the beans (coffee beans) on this new edition to the food scene in Nassau. 

While you wait on that post continue to: be bold, be bright and of course, be beautiful

3 comments

  1. I loved the look. I try to dress according to the season also and fall/“winter” is my fave. Our weather sometimes force us to deviate from that though so I totally feel where you’re coming from.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do you have any inspiration when you're dressing for the fall/winter in The Bahamas?

      Delete
    2. I kinda like layers and I like to stick with the colours scheme even though sometimes it’s not possible. I get a lot of my inspiration from Pinterest ( I would normally type in fall outfits because we don’t have much of a winter here), and I’ve recently followed other style pages on IG. So i would see stuff and try to make it my own.

      Delete